Friday, June 6, 2008

Finally.....the Drive-in

This is the sign for the Drive-In and the entrance where you pay to go in.

I finally got some pics of the Drive-In. I drive by there on my way to the bank. They are kind of boring because it was during the day but it's still kind of cool to have a working drive-in not far from home. I read an article not too long ago about drive-ins and I believe there are less than 2 dozen left in this country. The Silver Moon Drive-In in Lakeland,FL is celebrating 60 years this year. It has only had 3 different owners. My kids love it, it something most other kids will never get the chance to know. I remember going to the drive in when I was a kid and then again when I was dating. I remember going to one in North Andover, MA and they bulldozed it when I was about 13 and built a shopping center. And I went to one in Haverhill, MA that is now a hotel. When we moved to Florida, I used to frequent one in Lockhart. Now I believe that one is a shopping center also. That one was really neat, because it was a single screen and the screen itself was actually a house where the owners lived. Can you imagine living in a movie screen? I'd love to hear from you guys about your drive in memories.
The Silver Moon Drive-In has 2 screens (for a total of 4 movies each night). This is the one that is by the road. This is the screen that faces the road.



This is the snack bar. The awning is used for the weekend flea market they have. These are the reserved spots.

This is really blurry I know. This is the projection building. It is actually underground. This building comes up to my shoulders and I'm 5"2".


These are the old time speakers you hang off your open windows. You can still use these if you want. However most people choose to keep their windows up, their air on and just tune in their radios to the movies.

1 comment:

Missy Glave said...

All the years I lived in Florida and not once did I ever go to the Silver Moon Drive In. It's certainly a site to behold. I don't know why ... but when looking at your photos, they remind me of the "Cars" movie ... lol.

I remember the drive in theatre in Winter Haven. You could get a whole car load of people in for like $5.00. Is it a shopping center now?