Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Knitting Some Love

I wanted to do something special for my granddaughters. I wanted to make them something they would hopefully cherish through their lives. I'm knitting them afghans. My grandmother made each of her grandchildren one. I still have mine and my brothers. They are packed away in my great-grandmothers steamer trunk. I love my afghan. It kept me warm on many winter nights. My grandmother crocheted hers. Granny squares. I am knitting mine in a pattern called the popcorn pattern. Between my mom, my Aunt Weze and my Grammy Comstock I learned to knit and crochet. Mostly my aunt and grammy taught me. My mother was not very patient ( I get that from her). I'm glad I did learn. Knitting and crocheting are dying arts. Not very many people know how to anymore. I think my cousin Yvette may have learned too, but none of my sisters or other cousins ever did. I haven't done either in awhile so I dusted off the needles and off we go.

This is the one I've started for Layla. Nice bright colors and she loves pink.

Here I have four sections of popcorn pattern finished.

A close up of the pattern. It's basically knitting a row, purling a row and then on the tenth row, dropping every 10th stitch and picking up the pink to make the pattern puff out ( I guess like popcorn?).

If Diana see this sees going to be surprised. I had originally picked out the baby pastels for Rossi. Mainly because I couldn't find any other colored yarn that I liked. Well I shopped at a different Walmart the other day and they had this color. I fell in love with it. I am putting purple in between.


This is the start of Rossi's. You have to use a circular needle.

Hopefully a better shot of the circular needle. By the way these knitting needles were my mom's. So to me that makes this project extra special.

As you can see, I am just starting Rossi's. I plan on doing some on Layla's and then some on Rossi's. I want to try to finish them together.


This picture has nothing to do with my Love Project. I just love this picture. My husband dancing with me on the streets of Old Town, Kissimmee, Florida, to "You've Lost That Loving Feeling". Believe me I haven't lost that feeling.

2 comments:

Granny Annie said...

Bonnie, I made blankets for each of my grandchildren and once in a while they will tell me about still having them. They each drug these everywhere and it is amazing that the blankets still exist.

That picture of you and Hut dancing is wonderful!

Missy Glave said...

Oh Bonnie ... I think it's wonderful you are making afghans for the girls. They are going to LOVE them and will treasure them forever.

That picture of you and Jerome together is one of my favorites. You guys are lucky in love.