Thursday, May 3, 2012

Progress

Most of you know I work at the State Farm Building in Winter Haven, FL.  It's a huge 3 story building that houses over 2,500 employees.   On a recent walk around the building I noticed in the Info Depot (the room you go to get information) they had this beautiful filing cabinet on display. 
As the sign states this cabinet is from around 1918.  The cabinet was bought by Agent AJ Fleming for $2.00.  Yep $2.00.   Amazing right?  Well even more amazing was that in 1934 this cabinet held all the State Farm Policies for the State of Florida.  Can you imagine that?  I can't. 
 Not sure of the history surrounding this typewriter, but I'm sure it's real similiar to the ones used to type up some of the original policies.  And someone told me that they used to hand sew policies together.  Now that is really crazy.  Shows you how much we have progressed in almost 100 years.

1 comment:

Granny Annie said...

Oh my goodness! Shows how much added paperwork computers have given us. I own that typewriter, now I need to find me a filing cabinet like that one. I'm on a quest nowl