Thursday, June 12, 2008

Fighting Diabetes


Okay everyone, this blog is going to be a little different. I have been diagnosed with diabetes since 1997 (Type 2). I am one of the world's worst diabetics. I am fortunate that I am not on insulin yet. I take oral meds. I am supposed to follow a certain diet (which I don't, but I do try). I am also supposed to exercise (which I am pretty good about most of the time). Which explains why I am on a diet now. I am trying to regain control of my glucose readings. Those of you who are diabetic or know someone who is, knows what a challenge it can be. Diabetes runs in my family. My grandmother died of complications from it. My dad died of diabetes related heart disease. My sister has Type 1 and has never really been in the best of health. I may not be great at controlling mine, but I am a BIG advocate for finding a cure. So all the history out of the way....here's what I'm leading up to. On October 11,2008 they are having a walk for Diabetes. It's called Step Out Walk for Diabetes. I have never done anything like this before. I usually buy the magazines, make the donations through the mail, easy on the couch type things. I am determined to get healthier, by exercise and diet. This is my motivation. My 2 sons, Wade's G-friend Christina and my hubby are part of my team. We are called Rebels with a Cause (play on words for James Dean movie, Rebel without a Cause and the fact that my husband and sons were born in the south and in the Civil War, of course, the south was rebels). This blog is a heads up to Old friends and New that when I get my Team Page set up, you will be recieving an invite through your email. I know at this date and time with gas and everything else going up, monetary gifts are hard for some. If you are able to donate $$ (when the time comes) great. But I will need all the support I can get emotionally, mentally and physically. So encouraging words are a MUST from you guys (Cecile, you are in charge of quotes). So thank you for listening to me and hopefully you won't mind an email about the cause when I get set up. Thanks again everyone. You guys are the greatest.




3 comments:

Andi said...

Good for you Bonnie! Good luck on your walk. How wonderful it would be if a cure were found for diabetes.

Cecile said...

I've got your back girl!Good luck with everything!
Hugs
Cecile

Missy Glave said...

Hey Bonnie ... of course we will be there for you!! Bonnie's Blogging Support!!

I'm so proud of you for participating!!!