Friday, June 13, 2008

Friday the 13th




I was born and raised in New England, not far from Salem, so I grew up very superstitious. It's a way of life, always has been. Don't put shoes on any table in my house. Spill some salt, better shake some over your shoulder. Never bring an old broom with you when you move. I could go on and on. One superstition that I don't take to heart is Friday the 13th. Or at least I don't any more. My first date with my wonderful husband was Friday, March 13, 1992. We married less than 2 months later. In 1994, we moved into our new home on Friday, May 13. So for me, Friday the 13th is a lucky day. I no longer think something bad is going to happen on that day. I've had really good luck on Friday the 13th (of course I probably just jinxed myself). Now if I could just get over the other superstitions that easily. Hope everyone had wonderful, lucky Friday the 13th.

3 comments:

Missy Glave said...

You forgot ... don't put your shoes on the kitchen table. I didn't know about that one until you told me.

It's great 13 is your lucky number!! I totally forgot today was Friday the 13th!!

Cecile said...

Hey Girl
I am not normally superstitious but I do think about it when a black cat runs out in front of me when I am driving because my Granny would always put a X on the windshield when that happened?????
Who knows????
Have a great weekend!!!!
Cecile

Anonymous said...

Bonnie.
Love your upbeat and good natured way while viewing your blog.

I am pleased to hear that Friday the 13th is no longer taboo for you, yet has brought you some positive outcomes.

My husband of 20 yrs has his 53rd B-day on Oct 13 of this year, my cousin, Christina Marie, was actually born on a Friday 13th.

Over the years and recently, I have walk under ladders, accidentally broken mirrors, and was a caretaker to a dear and gentle black cat for 18 years--without incident.

I have always tested the odds of superstitions because I have faith in a higher power.

A cat is a cat, color is not an indicator of power. Besides, they are white under all that hair.

I believe that you are an intelligent and beautiful person that brings much joy to your family and friends.

Peace be with you and yours!

Texas