Sunday, June 15, 2008

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY

Happy Father's Day to all you wonderful men who are lucky enough to be fathers. This includes dads, step-dads, foster dads, adopted dads, godfathers, uncles,friends, neighbors, whoever has a hand in helping raise children as a father figure. You make all the difference to a child. Mom's may be the mainstay (for the most part) but children really do need a dad on the scene.

I have 2 sons with my first husband Jim. He is a good dad. I got very lucky, however, when I married my second husband, Hut. He really bonded with my 2 sons and when we were all together, he treated them just like his own. My sons consider themselves fortunate to have 2 loving dads, especially when a lot of kids don't even have one. This is one of my favorite pics of Hut and the boys. When they were younger I caught them all playing with cars and trucks in the living room. This picture looks kinda funky because they were all laying on the floor.This is another favorite picture. This is Hut and my dad, Nellie, on our wedding day. You can tell by the look on my dad's face that he knew I made a good choice. My dad passed away in 2001. I miss him terribly. I was very close to my dad. He was a great man. He worked 3 jobs when we were all young so that my mother could stay home and raise the kids. I believe that made a big difference to us kids, although we really didn't get to see alot of him. We knew he loved us, though, because everyday before work, he would give us all a kiss. And my dad was a stepdad too. He raised my oldest sister,Paulette as his own, and if anyone made a comment about her not being his, he would tell you in no uncertain terms that she was. I love my dad.
I don't have very many pictures of my father in law, JC. But he was a great man too. All his kids loved him dearly, as did the grandkids (even the step ones). JC treated us all the same. JC left us in 1998 and has been missed terribly ever since. My fondest memories of him are "arguements" we would have. He liked to get my goat all the time because I was a "damned" yankee and he was a good ol' southern boy. I don't remember exactly whose party this pic was taken at, but then again, we really didn't need an excuse to cook some food and have a good time. JC lost his wife Syble(my hubby and 2 sils mom) in 1976. My husband had just turned 17 and Missy was just a week shy of her 7th birthday. JC finished raising his family and did a terrific job.

I thank God for these 2 wonderful fathers that I knew personally and the 1 I am married to. I thank God for all those men out there who are filling those shoes. And to all the fathers (and mothers) who are fighting for this country's rights and freedoms, I salute you for making it possible for us to live the lives we have.

Everyone have a wonderful Father's day and make sure you let your dads know how much you love and appreciate them.


6 comments:

Missy Glave said...

Awwwwwww ... it's so nice to see a picture of Jerome, your Dad and my Daddy. It's just like Daddy, sitting there against Mike's car eating some food! I don't remember that event ... but it looks like cake was involved ... I bet we had fun!!

Andi said...

Oh Bonnie! This is a wonderful post and such a loving tribute. We're lucky ones to have had good Dad's in our lives. Love the pictures too.

Cecile said...

Happy Father's Day to all of the great Dads!!

Missy Glave said...

I'm been wracking my brain trying to figure out when that picture of Daddy was taken.

I know it was at least before 1993. My Bronco is there in the background and I got my Grand Am in 1993. Wow ... I wish I could remember!!!

Missy Glave said...

me again ... the Christmas decorations are out ... although I know Daddy left the lights up most of the year ... but there is a Santa Claus in the front of the house. Could it have been Wade's birthday?

Anonymous said...

I think about my Daddy, JC everyday...He will always be my Hero, Mentor and Best Friend....I learned alot from him....Nellie, Bonnie's Dad was the type of Dad that everyone should have....He was my Rock when I lost my Daddy....