Saturday, June 28, 2008

To go gray or not to go gray......that is the question

I have been fighting gray hair since I was 16. It's a family trait from my mom's side. My grandmother was totally white at 32. I am about 97% gray under whatever color I am this week. I had almost let it grow all the way out until about a month ago. Then I did the unthinkable and colored it again. Now I have the gray "line" showing. Now I'm thinking about just being done with the coloring and going "au natural". I can't afford to go the to hairdressers and have the coloring done. I have a hard enough time getting to the nail salon to keep my nails done (the only girly thing I really do). Let me give you some facts.....I'm 47. Gray hair is inevitable. My gray is actually a really pretty shade (like my granny's, I was afraid it would be dull like my mom's). I have 2 son's. On my side of the family is premature gray, on their dad's side is baldness. Guess what??? My oldest gets gray hair (has since he was 18) and youngest will probably be bald. How funny. Anyways.....give me your thoughts. It is a vanity thing...I'll be honest. And any suggestions on how to deal with gray hair while it's growing in would be a big help. Thanks.

This is one of my favorite pictures because #1 Griffin is in it and #2 my hubby is in it and #3 I love my hair! (Thanks for taking this pic Missy, I stole it from one of your earlier blogs.)

This is also a fav pic because it was for my wedding vow renewal ceremony. If you look close you can see the remnants of blond and all the gray. I am currently a medium brown with the gray line.

6 comments:

Simple Man said...

I would Love you if you were bald.....

Missy Glave said...

Bonnie ... I like your hair either way.

I too have that "gray line" and need to color my hair right this minute too. So, believe me ... I totally understand your dilemma.

I honestly do like your hair both ways ... let us know what you decide.

Andi said...

First I want to say the comment your hubby left touched my heart. That is so sweet.

I too understand...I went the Nice and Easy route for years, doing it myself. My hubby referred to it as "nice and messy". So...now I get it colored...but my nails look awful...they never get done. Sometimes you just have to choose.

I love the picture of you and your hubby with Griffin. Love your hair color in that one too. But since you have nice gray...mines not so nice...you can go either way.

Rudee said...

I grew out my gray roots for 4 months and yesterday, had it all whacked off. It's very cute but I can pull off short hair well. The back is mixed natural color and gray and I still have about 2 haircuts worth of blond on top. By summer's end, it'll all be gone. Be strong, you can do this. BTW, I've been mostly all gray for 10 years but had my first grays in my teens.

Shampoo with a toner in it for blond, silver and gray hair will keep your gray locks from yellowing-Bumble and Bumble makes a good one that you don't use but once a week.

Cecile said...

Hi Bonnie
I think you should do what really feels good for you. I am 40 now and I do have to color my gray streaks because I feel better about myself.I am a hairdresser and I feel that lighter colors of hair blonde,dk.blonde look better that darker harsher colors on me???? You can also buy semi-perm color for gray hair that's less harsh and gives your hair a different tone than just gray and nice shine and body.(Email me and I can give u some brands) I think it's the person inside not the hair color:))And you are a sweetie because your hubby knows you and he thinks your the "Bomb"(me too)!!!!!!
Cecile

About Me said...

Whatever makes you happy. I don't have gray hair yet but when that time comes I will be on a first name basis with Ms. Clairol. Your husband made a good comment and that is what matters.My husband just shaved his head thursday night (against my will) my daughter helped him. I'm not crazy about it but I love him anyway.